If you’re already using K2 business process automation and haven’t moved to their cloud-based offering, K2 Five yet, there’s a compelling reason for you to consider it: constant improvements and added features. For its cloud customers, K2 releases a steady stream of product improvements and makes them available almost immediately, while non-cloud customers have a longer wait.
Case in point: At the end of October, K2 went to market with K2 5.2 — the second major upgrade to K2 Five. This update offers a lot of enhancements to K2 Five but they can all be grouped into can three basic categories:
- SmartForms (or User Interface)
- Management (or Administrative)
Let's dive into greater detail on the items from each category that will provide the most value to K2’s users.
Photo by Kevin Ku via Pexels
How to improve your K2 business process automation
Improving inefficient business processes and automated workflow is the entire reason K2 customers invest in business process management (BPM) software. This new release improves workflow in a few important ways.
- Conditional start rules: Customers can now implement business logic and rules that determine when a workflow is started. For example, looking for an order number in Salesforce could kick off a workflow. Or perhaps a maintenance workflow might be triggered when the output from a device on an organization’s Internet of Things (IoT) reaches a pre-defined level.
- Ability to trigger a sub-workflow using a list: This feature uses a list to kick off a process within a larger, more complex workflow. For example, a sub-workflow might be triggered by a customer list, kicking off contract renewal processes for each customer in a territory from a larger, parent workflow. That parent workflow can be configured to wait for all, some or none of those sub-workflows to finish before proceeding forward.
- In-Line Get List Filters: K2 now gives you the ability to add filters directly into SmartObject calls that are being used in a workflow. What does that mean exactly? Well, this new feature lets you determine who — out of a list of people — you can route a task to, based on specific criteria. For example, if your process includes a sales quote approval, you might have a list of managers authorized to approve a quote. This new feature can use a customer’s region to determine which manager should receive the task. Using this new feature will streamline the workflow and make sure tasks are sent to the right people with minimum hassle.
- Draft Forms Capability: Using K2 on your phone? If you are, you can now save a draft version of your forms from the mobile app and you’ll be able to revisit and complete them later, whether you are online or offline. (Quick note: This functionality is only available in the K2 workspace app that works with K2 Cloud and K2 Five offerings.)
- Server-Side Rule Execution: You can now set up rules and actions on your forms and in your workflows that are executed on the server, rather than on your PC or laptop. What does that mean? By executing rules and actions on the server, K2 processes information more efficiently and — bonus — much more quickly.
Photo by rawpixel via Pexels
- Enhanced Security: What would a software update be without improved security? Customers now have more control over their K2 environments with a permissions setting; you can control which roles (or individual users) can delete SmartObjects, views and forms in the K2 Designer.
- Runaway Workflow Thresholds: You’re supposed to control your workflow, not the other way around. This feature keeps workflows from getting out of hand by giving administrators the ability to define the maximum number of workflow instances or steps that can start or run on a server during a given period of time. It keeps your processes from adversely affecting the performance of the environment or even bringing down the servers.
K2 5.2 is another great step forward as K2 continues to improve its toolset and provide you with functionality to improve your customer experience. Looking for help with your upgrade? Omni is a K2 partner serving the Midwest. We have the experience to help you get the most out of your K2 investment and help you simplify your processes.
Need help improving your K2 business process automation?